2014 Viña Real Crianza Rioja

SKU #1331309 92 points James Suckling

 A perfumed nose of dried-flower, blackberry and currant character. Cloves and cinnamon too. Full-bodied, very fruity and concentrated with soft and ripe tannins and a long, fresh and lightly oaky finish. Drink now or hold.  (12/2016)

90 points Vinous

 Vivid ruby. Aromas of red berry liqueur and pungent flowers, backed by subtle vanilla and mocha nuances. Smooth and open-knit, offering sweet blackberry and cola flavors that are sharpened by a hint of cracked pepper. Weighty yet lively, showing very good closing focus and smooth tannins that come in late. (JR)  (5/2017)

Share |
Price: $14.99

Real Time Inventory by location:

The item you have chosen is in stock, and has inventory in our warehouse and one or more stores. Below is the current quantity on hand information for this product within our database. It is never more than five minutes old. Additionally, our shopping cart looks at real time inventory so when you add an item to you cart we will do an immediate check of available inventory and alert you if there are any issues.

Location Qty
Main Warehouse: 22
Redwood City: 28
San Francisco: 19
Product turnaround time varies by location of inventory and your chosen method of shipping/pickup. For a detailed explanation click here.

Product Reviews:

Add your own review of this item

By: Joe Bruno | K&L Staff Member | Review Date: 12/9/2017 | Send Email
This 2014 Crianza primarily consists of 90% Tempranillo, with the remaining 10% comprising of Garnacha, Graciano, and Mazuelo. The oak influence in this wine draws from multiple sources: the oak barrels used in fermentation are French Oak barrels and the barrels used in the 13-14 month aging process are American. Dominant fruit aromas of ripe blackberries and raspberries, macerated cherries, and plum. Bouquet of vanillas, balsamic, cedar, and dill. Warming spices as well, underlying. On the palate, dried berries and cherries play with a wonderful lively acidity. Tannins are there, but certainly not overwhelming. The mouthfeel and acidity lend it to being a great option with food pairings: think roast chicken and bell peppers or pork chops

By: Chantel Carroll | K&L Staff Member | Review Date: 12/5/2017 | Send Email
I really love this wine, an easy drinking Rioja. Fresh red fruited and medium bodied, with nicely integrated oak, and a subtle hint of vanilla. The palate fished with dried strawberry and a scooch of anise. A fun party wine, great with some crudite and 80's pop music.

By: Rachel Alcarraz | K&L Staff Member | Review Date: 12/5/2017 | Send Email
A slightly richer style Rioja that starts off with a tart and direct nose but leads into a full bodied, structured wine with nice oak character integrated with blackberry and raspberries. A steal at under $15!

By: Joe Manekin | K&L Staff Member | Review Date: 12/5/2017 | Send Email
Vina Real Crianza is a model of consistency: year in, year out, it is a lovely brightly fruited Rioja. The wine always comes across with admirable freshness and poise, well integrated background barrel notes (here, in the case of the well delineated, fresh feeling 2014, they are really quite subtle) and, most importantly, drinkability for days. I go through drinking phases like anyone else, and may find a new regional rabbit hole to explore while temporarily retiring another, but I will simply never tire of Riojas as delicious and affordable as Vina Real Crianza.

Additional Information:



- A very important red grape varietal that's native to Northern Spain, grown across the north and central regions of the country. Low in acid and alcohol, with subtle strawberry, leather and tobacco notes, the grape responds well to oak aging and plays particularly well with others. Tempranillo is an important component, when combined with Garnacha, Mazuelo, Viura and Graciano, of Rioja, with the best examples coming for the cooler, higher-elevation regions like Rioja Alta and Rioja Alavesa. It is also grown in significant quantities in the Ribera del Duero where it is called Tinto Fino and Penèdes where it is called Ull de Llebre o Ojo de Llebre. Tempranillo hasn't gained a particularly strong foothold outside of Spain, achieving some success under the name Tinto Roriz in Portugal. There it is used as a component of Port and in the table wines of the Ribera del Duero and the Dão.


- With more land under vine than any other country in the world, Spain is the great sleeping wine giant. In recent years, a great deal of money and passion has been poured in the burgeoning Spanish wine industry, helping to improve quality among its vast array of wines from sparkling Cava to Sherry to Rioja Gran Reserva. The most important red-wine-producing regions are Rioja, Ribera del Duero and Navarra in the north and Priorat and Penedes in the northeast.