2015 Woodlands "Wilyabrup Valley" Chardonnay Margaret River Western Australia

SKU #1294839 94 points James Halliday

 Wild-fermented in French barriques, 35% of the wine matured in barrel, the remainder in tank, blended and bottled Sept. Elegant, but flavour-filled; white peach, nectarine and touch of fig, citrussy acidity following with a splash of oak.  (10/2016)

92 points James Suckling

 This is a Chardonnay that has plenty of fruit character as well as the smoked barrel and malo undertones. All there. Full and delicious.  (3/2016)

92 points Wine Enthusiast

 A premium Chardonnay at an affordable price from one of Margaret River’s leading producers. Unmistakably Western Australian and reflecting proximity to the ocean, Woodlands’s Chardonnay smells of sea breeze and brine. It’s smokey, nutty and lemony on the palate, with a hint of wild mint and a lean, tight feel of flinty minerality. Drink now - 2025.

K&L Notes

A fantastically faithful rendition of majestic Margaret River Chardonnay at a very affordable price point. The Chardonnay is hand picked, delicately destemmed using a very gentle new technology and then fermented in French oak barriques predominantly (90%) using wild yeast. Some wine was then racked to tank while the other portion rested in barrel for 9 months (10% new oak). This is a bright mineral inflected wine with linear drive and intensity. The malo / barrel fermented portion adds great weight and richness but ultimately the wine is about purity and tension. The flavors are focused around orchard fruit - apricot, yellow plum, baked pear. Mouthwatering, mineral infused acidity dances on the palate intertwined with a lick of French oak. (Ryan Woodhouse - K&L Aussie Wine Buyer)

Share |
Price: $24.99

Real Time Inventory by location:

The item you have chosen is in stock, and has inventory in at least one of our retail stores. Below is the current quantity on hand information for this product within our database. It is never more than five minutes old. Additionally, our shopping cart looks at real time inventory so when you add an item to you cart we will do an immediate check of available inventory and alert you if there are any issues.

Location Qty
San Francisco: 3
Product turnaround time varies by location of inventory and your chosen method of shipping/pickup. For a detailed explanation click here.
Fans of this product include:

Additional Information:



- It's hard to believe that up until about 30 years ago, this extremely popular varietal hid behind the veil of geographical names like Chablis and Puligny-Montrachet. Now grown all over the world and bottled by its varietal name, Chardonnay has achieved a level of branding unlike any other wine. Surprisingly, though, what you get when you buy Chardonnay can differ greatly from country to country and even within one country, depending on the climate where it's grown and how it is vinified and aged. From fresh, crisp and minerally with apple and lemon notes to rich and buttery with tropical fruit overtones, Chardonnay runs the gamut. In France's Burgundy, Chardonnay is the source of the prized wines of Chablis, Corton-Charlemagne, Mâcon, Meursault and Montrachet. It also the foundation of exceptional Champagne, where it is blended with Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier or vinified on its own into Blanc de Blancs. It is also extremely popular in California, and is gaining popularity in Australia, New Zealand, Italy, Spain and South Africa.


- While it is true that the greatest strides in Australian winemaking have come in the last 30 years or so, commercial viticulture began as early as the 1820s and has developed uninterrupted ever since. The majority of the great wine regions are in the southeastern area of the continent, including Barossa Valley, Clare Valley, McLaren Vale, and Coonawarra in South Australia; Yarra Yarra Valley and Pyrenees in Victoria; and the Upper and Lower Hunter Valleys in New South Wales. Many of the wines from Southeastern Australia are based on Shiraz or Cabernet Sauvignon and various blends including Grenache and Mourvedre. In Western Australia, along the Margaret River, great strides are being made with Pinot Noir as well as Bordeaux-styled reds. There are also many world-class releases of Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc from the land Down Under, where Riesling also enjoys international acclaim. While many equate Aussie wines with “value,” there are more than a few extremely rare and pricey options, which never fail to earn the highest ratings from wine publications and critics throughout the world.

Western Australia

Specific Appellation:

Margaret River