2014 Alvaro Palacios "Finca Dofi" Priorat

SKU #1278250 96 points James Suckling

 Subtle nose of dried rose petals, slate and hints of red cherries. Full body, a beautiful structure and a dense and harmonious texture. Single vineyard. So delicious now. Why wait?  (12/2016)

95 points Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

 The 2014 Finca Dofí is a blend of approximately 94% Garnacha and 6% Cariñena from a plot in Gratallops called Finca Dofí. The destemmed and crushed grapes fermented in oak vats with natural yeasts followed by malolactic and 14 months aging in oak barrels. It feels terribly lively, with a silkiness and purity, terse but at the same time ripe. The oak is very integrated and there is no volatility many associate with Priorat, but the flavors are clearly reminiscent of the old vintages of Dofí but with a much more polished texture. Again the acidity gives it clout and depth, like claws clinging to you. It ends tasty and very mineral. This feels as good as the other-worldly 2013. A great vintage for Dofí. Elegance in a bottle. There are 20,100 bottles produced.  (10/2016)

K&L Notes

While 2013 set the bar very high indeed (The Wine Advocate called it the best ever Finca Dofi) I had the opportunity to taste a barrel sample of the 2014 Finca Dofi in the summer of 2015. It was phenomenal: the epitome of what makes today's best Priorats so delicious, with intense wild blackberries, compelling minerality and engaging acidity. A wonderful young Finca Dofi, it will undoubtedly improve for a decade and beyond. (Joe Manekin, K&L Spanish wine buyer)

Share |
Price: $79.99
Add To Waiting List

Real Time Inventory by location:

The item you have chosen is not in stock in our retail stores or within our main warehouse.

Product turnaround time varies by location of inventory and your chosen method of shipping/pickup. For a detailed explanation click here.

Product Reviews:

Add your own review of this item

Staff Image By: Ivan Diaz | K&L Staff Member | Review Date: 6/15/2017 | Send Email
My first opportunity to taste the Finca Dofi, a legendary bottling from a legendary Priorat producer, did not disappoint. Expecting a powerhouse wine with too much muscle and richness to drink now, I was taken aback by its exceedingly elegant, silky style. Alvaro Palacios specializes in Garnacha (this bottle is 95%, with Carinena making up the remaining 5%), and has crafted a stunning tribute to perhaps the world's most versatile grape. Medium to full-bodied with a pleasingly creamy texture, but featuring fully-integrated, comfortable acidity that maintains a sense of lift and balance. There is fresh, vibrant red currant, blackberry, and blueberry, a subtle hint of vanilla that never becomes sweet or cloying, zesty herbs-de-Provence, and finishing with compellingly slatey minerality absorbed from the famous "llicorella" soil of Priorat. There is polish and brightness here along with depth and power; this is the rare wine that is perfect with food, and perfect for thoroughly enjoyable drinking on its own. While this is gorgeous right now, it will continue to surprise as it ages for another 5-7 years or longer.

Additional Information:

Varietal:

Other Red Wines

Country:

Spain

- With more land under vine than any other country in the world, Spain is the great sleeping wine giant. In recent years, a great deal of money and passion has been poured in the burgeoning Spanish wine industry, helping to improve quality among its vast array of wines from sparkling Cava to Sherry to Rioja Gran Reserva. The most important red-wine-producing regions are Rioja, Ribera del Duero and Navarra in the north and Priorat and Penedes in the northeast.
Sub-Region:

Priorato

Alcohol Content (%): 14.5