2013 Mr. Riggs "The Magnet-Dogridge Vineyard" Old Vine Grenache McLaren Vale

SKU #1253088 94 points James Halliday

 *Special Value Selection* Beefy and substantial in a varietal context though it's mostly packed with redcurrant and assorted red berried fruit. The point is it has a rich ripeness to it. It also comes packed with dried spices and sandy tannin, and manages to simultaneously create a serious impression and be perfumed and frivolous.

93 points James Suckling

 Beautiful florals here. This has a neat purity and alluring fruit perfume, lightly candied, the palate delivers flavors of blood orange, raspberry and pink grapefruit, tannins are lacy and lithe; a great example of Mclaren Vale Grenache.  (2/2016)

93 points Wine Enthusiast

 *Editors' Choice* Not many $30 wines can offer fruit from 100-year-old vines, but this one does. It's full bodied and rich, with notes of plum and black cherries supported by hints of chocolate and vanilla. (JC)

90 points Wine Spectator

 Perfumed raspberry and blueberry flavors are juicy and supple, with a touch of mineral, green tea and spice, on a taut frame. (Web-2016) (MW)

K&L Notes

Winemaker's Notes: "The 100 year old Grenache dry grown bush vines are located at Dogridge Vineyard in the McLaren Vale region. Approximately 8 acres are under bush vine and grow in the alluvial soil of the Kurragong geology formation. This well-drained soil is optimal for Grenache growing. These old vines are low yielding with each bunch providing a concentrated array of flavours from ripe cherries to plums and blackberries. Hand picked in the cool of the morning, 60% whole bunches were put into 5 tonne open fermenter with the remaining 40% crushed onto the top of the Grenache bunches. A daily program of pump overs assists in the partial carbonic maceration which adds complexity to the wine."

Share |
Price: $24.99
Add To Waiting List

Real Time Inventory by location:

The item you have chosen is not in stock in our retail stores or within our main warehouse.

Product turnaround time varies by location of inventory and your chosen method of shipping/pickup. For a detailed explanation click here.

Additional Information:



- Fat, ripe and rich with ample fruit and vibrant acidity, wines made from Grenache are easy to love. While its origins are still under dispute - some suggest Spain, where it is called Garnacha, while others say it came first from Sardinia, where it is called Cannonau - it is inarguably one of the most planted varietals in the world. A hearty grape, Grenache does well in hot, dry regions and its sturdy stalk also makes it well-suited to withstand blustery conditions like the Provençal Mistral. It ripens at relatively high sugar levels, which translates to higher potential alcohol in the wines it produces. Grenache may be most famous in the Southern Rhône areas such as Châteauneuf-du-Pape and Gigondas where it has long been an important component of delicious blends. But it's also the source of the crisp rosés from Tavel, Lirac and Provence, and age-worthy vins doux naturels like Rivsaltes and Banyuls. Grenache is also found in large swaths of northeastern Spain, in Navarre, in Rioja, where it plays a supporting role in blends with Tempranillo, and in the distinctive wines of Priorat. The grape was once the most widely planted varietal in Australia, though Shiraz and Cabernet have overtaken it. In California, Grenache plantings have dwindled from their heyday in the San Joaquin Valley, but it is starting to see a resurgence, albeit in smaller plantings, where other Rhône varietals thrive.


- While it is true that the greatest strides in Australian winemaking have come in the last 30 years or so, commercial viticulture began as early as the 1820s and has developed uninterrupted ever since. The majority of the great wine regions are in the southeastern area of the continent, including Barossa Valley, Clare Valley, McLaren Vale, and Coonawarra in South Australia; Yarra Yarra Valley and Pyrenees in Victoria; and the Upper and Lower Hunter Valleys in New South Wales. Many of the wines from Southeastern Australia are based on Shiraz or Cabernet Sauvignon and various blends including Grenache and Mourvedre. In Western Australia, along the Margaret River, great strides are being made with Pinot Noir as well as Bordeaux-styled reds. There are also many world-class releases of Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc from the land Down Under, where Riesling also enjoys international acclaim. While many equate Aussie wines with “value,” there are more than a few extremely rare and pricey options, which never fail to earn the highest ratings from wine publications and critics throughout the world. View a list of bestselling items from Australia.

South Australia

Specific Appellation:

McLaren Vale

Alcohol Content (%): 14.5