K&L Email Alerts
Sign up to receive custom alerts, new arrivals and the latest happenings from K&L Wines
Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I check on my orders? Can I track the package?
- How long will it take to receive my order?
- Why can't I log in?
- Why do I have to create an account to order or receive your newsletter?
- Is it safe to use my credit card?
- Do I have to order online?
- What are my payment options?
- Can you ship alcoholic beverages to my state?
- What are my shipping options?
- Can I cancel or modify an order after it has been submitted?
- Can I return a product?
- How do I know that you have received my order?
- How long will it take for me to receive my order?
- Does klwines.com handle gift orders? Do you offer gift-certificates?
- How do I contact K&L Wine Merchants?
- Can I obtain wines that are not listed on your Web site or newsletter?
- Do you buy back older wines from your customers?
How can I check on my orders? Can I track the package?
You can view all your orders, past and present, by first logging in and then going to your My Account and then going to the Order History page (you may have to log in first). This Order History page will also include all telephone and in-store purchases, provided that you inform a K&L salesperson of your account information and request that your transaction get "profiled" in our system.
How long will it take to receive my order?
We make every attempt to get your order shipped to you as soon as possible. Please keep in mind that there are a few reasons that may prevent your order from making its way on to a FedEx or UPS truck immediately.
- It takes us some time to pull your order together, and get it to our shipping department where it is packed and labeled. The time between when you place the order and when it is pulled and packed can vary from a couple of hours to a couple of days, depending upon order volume. Our fulfillment methods vary by the locations where your products are located. Because we give you access to everything in stock (regardless of where it's located), we use a few different business rules. If you're having items shipped to an address, we transfer all items back to our Northern California warehouse and ship them out from there, unless there are items located in our Hollywood store. Hollywood items will ship directly to you separately. If you are picking items up (will call) at any of our locations, we create individual orders for each separate location and then consolidate these individual orders together at the final pickup location.
- If any items are temporarily unavailable (but due in within a few days), we may hold your order in our warehouse and wait for the outstanding items to arrive. We attempt to have our customer service department contact you if this occurs.
- IMPORTANT - We attempt to ship wines at the beginning of each week in order to get shipments to you before the weekend. This is because we have no control over the temperature conditions at our freight carriers' warehouses. The result may be a delay in your shipment. Please understand that this policy is due to our commitment to ensuring your order arrives in perfect condition.
- If your order contains "futures" or "pre-arrival" items, they will not be immediately delivered. These products are explicitly indicated as "pre-arrivals" or "futures" on our Web site and newsletter, along with the expected arrival dates. K&L will notify you by US mail when your "pre-arrivals" or "futures" have arrived and are ready to be shipped. You will be given the opportunity to coordinate the proper shipping address and method (we won't automatically ship out pre-arrival wines when they arrive).
NOTE: If you have selected a specific shipping method such as 2-Day Air shipping, your order may not necessarily arrive two days later. It will, however, be sent via 2-Day Air service with our carrier (generally FedEx or UPS). It is extremely important to evaluate the time your order spends in transit, where we have no control over the environmental conditions.
How to Determine the Status of Your Order
The quickest way to see the status of your order is to go you the My Account section of our Web site. From there you can see the real time order status of any order you have placed.
Alternatively, you can contact our customer service department by phone at (800) 247-5987 or via Email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why can't I log in?
Are you sure that you registered with us? Registration on our site will cause us to automatically Email you a confirmation of your registration.
If you have indeed registered, but still cannot log in, you may be using an incorrect Online ID and Password. The most common cause of log-in problems, other than you've simply forgotten the correct Online ID or Password, is an upper case/lower case mismatch. Your Online ID and Password are case-sensitive, so you have to be sure you type them in with exactly the same combination of upper and lower case characters as you did when you initially entered them.
You may also have trouble if you mistype your Online ID and Password three times. If you incorrectly attempt to sign-in three times, for your protection we may decline further attempts to sign in.
If you continue to have problems, please contact us so that we can help you sign on successfully.
Why do I have to create an account to order or receive your newsletter?
Creating a account allows us to save information about you and your orders so that we can give you better service in the future. Once you have created an account we can:
- Easily fill in your billing and shipping information when you place an order
- Keep an address book with your shipping destinations to make gift giving easy
- Maintain a history of your previous purchases for your review
Is it safe to use my credit card?
Yes. We use the latest encryption technology to keep your information safe. We guarantee that each purchase you make is protected and safe. If fraudulent charges are ever made, you will not have to pay for them. See our guarantee details.
Do I have to order online?
Of course not. You can order over the telephone during our business hours, or come into one of our stores and see us in person. Our staff would be happy to help you make selections no matter which way you contact us.
What are my payment options?
We accept Visa, MasterCard, and American Express. Read more about our payment options.
Can you ship alcoholic beverages to my state?
You're asking some pretty tough questions! This difficult question is one that we hear with great frequency. Read more about our shipping policy.
What are my shipping options?
Please visit our Shipping section to learn more about our policies.
Can I cancel or modify an order after it has been submitted?
Yes. We normally do not charge your credit card until your order has gone to shipping or will call (except in the case of "pre-arrival" sales). As long as your credit card has not yet been charged, you can cancel your order by calling us at 1-800-247-5987, or alternatively, by Email at email@example.com. Be sure to include your name, email address, order number, if available, the products you want to cancel, and all other information that could help us locate the order rapidly. If you want to change the quantity of an item, please tell us by Email, phone, or fax. With any cancellation or modification, please let us as soon as possible.
Because of the fees charged by your credit card company when we charge and subsequently credit your card, we may enforce the collection of our restocking fee, 5 percent of the order total, if your card has already been charged. Again, we normally do not charge your credit card until your order has gone to shipping or will call (except in the case of "pre-arrival" sales). If we haven't charged your credit card, you may cancel the order without being subject to our restocking fee. If we have already charged your card, the circumstances surrounding the order may impact our enforcement of the restocking policy.
Can I return a product?
This gets a little tricky. By law, we are only allowed to accept returns of alcoholic beverages if they were purchased in error. Additionally, because of the fees charged by your credit card company when we charge and subsequently credit your card, we may enforce the collection of our restocking fee, 5 percent of the order total. The circumstances surrounding the order may impact our enforcement of this policy.
You will not be responsible for paying the restocking fee if we made an error on your order.
Your enthusiastic endorsement of our company is the most important thing to us. We strive to deliver high quality products, reliable shipping that gets to you as quickly as possible, and exceptional customer service. If you are not satisfied with your order for any reason, please contact us right away. We will do all that we can to make things right. Word-of-mouth has been our strongest source of advertising since we opened in 1976.
Please call, Email, or visit K&L before sending your return so that we can expect it. You can reach us by phone at (800) 247-5987 or locally at (650) 364-8544. Emails should go to firstname.lastname@example.org. If we've communicated with you and you are sending merchandise back to us, you can send it to...
K&L Wine Merchants
3005 El Camino Real
Redwood City, CA 94061
How do I know that you have received my order?
After you place an order, you should see a Thank You page with an order number. You should also receive a confirmation via Email. Additionally, from "Your Account" you should see the order on the "Order Status" page.
How long will it take for me to receive my order?
It depends on what you order, where the shipping address is located, when you place your order and what shipping method you select. Please note that shipping methods like "3-Day Air" do not guarantee that your order will arrive within three days. If you select "3-Day Air" for example, it should not take more than three days between the time that the carrier picks up the package from our location and when it arrives at your address. However, we need a small amount of time to carefully verify, pull, and package the order for you. Above all, the safety of your wines is the most important thing as far as we're concerned. For this reason, we attempt to ship wines at the beginning of each week in order to get shipments to you before the weekend. This is because we have no control over the temperature conditions at our freight carriers' warehouses. The result may be that your shipment doesn't go out the day that you place an order. Please understand that during business hours, your orders are immediately packaged and scheduled for delivery, but may be delayed until ideal conditions for shipment arise. If immediate delivery is required, we would urge you to call us to verify the instructions before placing the order.
A small percentage of our products are sold on a "pre-arrival" or "futures" basis. These products are explicitly indicated as "pre-arrivals" or "futures" on our web site and newsletter, along with the expected arrival dates. K&L will notify you by US mail when your "pre-arrivals" or "futures" have arrived and are ready to be shipped. You will be given the opportunity to coordinate the proper shipping address and method (we won't automatically ship out pre-arrival wines when they arrive).
Unless you live on the West Coast, we strongly discourage you from selecting "Ground Service" as your shipping method. During the winter and summer months, weather conditions (temperature) and longer delivery times can often result in the spoilage of your order. It doesn't make sense to invest in fine wines and then take the chance of ruining them due environmental factors during transit (faster and safer delivery generally isn't much more expensive). We don't make an additional profit on accelerated delivery, but we frequently recommend faster shipping options to our customers outside the West Coast.
Does klwines.com handle gift orders? Do you offer gift-certificates?
We would be happy to take your gift order, although we do not currently offer gift wrapping for any online orders. Gift orders are subject to a $4.95 handling fee, and are sent out with a card. You can specify what you'd like us to include on the card by filling in the appropriate field towards the end of our order form. Unfortunately, we do not currently offer online or mail order gift-certificates.
Can I obtain wines that are not listed on your Web site or newsletter?
Sometimes. Because most of what we sell are limited production items, it's often very tough (or impossible in some cases) to locate items that you don't see available on klwines.com or in the newsletter. Our buyers are frequently asked to locate products that we're not currently selling, and if they have straightforward access to something that you're interested in, they'll get it for you. Quite frequently we are asked to locate the new releases of extremely rare and highly allocated wines. These particular wines (the collectors know which ones we're referring to) are going to be tough to secure via Email. The limited quantities of these wines that are available upon release normally go to frequent and familiar shoppers. As much as we'd like to have a large supply of these rarities to offer throughout our Web site, newsletter, and store shelves, the reality is that we're often dealing with just a limited number of bottles or cases. The best thing you can do is contact the winery, find the release date, and stay in touch with our sales staff shortly thereafter. We get hundreds of requests each month for products that we're not offering, so please be patient and understanding if we're not able to send a prompt reply.