2009 Monte Antico Toscana
*Best Buy* Monte Antico - a blend of Sangiovese, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon - is a great value choice that shows medium build in the mouth followed by bright notes of cherry and wild berry. The mouthfeel is smooth and spicy, but largely driven by simple, red fruit nuances.
Candied cherry and strawberry notes mingle with tobacco and bitter almond flavors in this slim red. The tannins have grip.
A consistent value performer, the Monte Antico is a Super Tuscan style blend of 85% Sangiovese with 10% Merlot and 5% Cabernet Sauvignon that is fermented in stainless steel and aged in a combination of 80% Slovenian and the rest French oak barrique, of which 10-20% is new. From the winery: "The wine itself comes from a few of the region’s finest vineyard sites, in the areas of Maremma, Colline Pisane, and Colli Fiorentini. Soil type goes from compact, including a very fine-textured limestone at 1,300-1,500 feet a.s.l, a classic, clayey/calcareous, rocky galestro also at altitudes around 1,300 feet, and clayey/siliceous/calcareous soil at an altitude of 820-990 feet. The finest selections are cherry-picked according to harvest conditions in the individual terroirs and microclimates. This balanced orchestration of geological diversity makes for the wine’s consistent excellence."