2010 Grotta del Sole Gragnano Penisola Sorrentina

SKU #1075856

Piedirosso, Aglianico and Sciascinoso make up a minimum 60% of this Campanian red, with the remaining 40% consisting of traditional vine varieties. This is a fizzy, 'new' wine, bottled as early as November and typical of the Neapolitan tradition. Cantina Grotto del Sole was founded and is run by the Martusciello family who are passionately committed the preservation and recovery of the Campanian viticultual and winemaking traditions. Gragnano (after the town of Gragnano) as a style of wine was popularized in the 1900's, the result of merchant trade overlapping with the mid-October harvest. When the merchants from Naples came to the region to purchase their wine casks in October, the wines were sold in cask while still fermenting and served "fizzy" once they reached their Naples destination. Grotta del Sole's Gragnano is a great match with curead meats and cheeses, and can accompany soups, fried foods and fish dishes nicely, thanks to its balanced acidity, and youthful, fruity effervescence.

Share |
Price: $15.99
Add To Waiting List

Real Time Inventory by location:

The item you have chosen is not in stock in our retail stores or within our main warehouse.

Product turnaround time varies by location of inventory and your chosen method of shipping/pickup. For a detailed explanation click here.

Product Reviews:

Add your own review of this item

By: Chris Miller | K&L Staff Member | Review Date: 9/25/2011 | Send Email
When I was the buyer/sommelier at Pizzeria Mozza here in LA, the sort of "elephant of a secret" in the room was that Italians don't really drink fine wine with pizza. They drink beer, "sfuso" mixed with sparkling water (sfuso is essetially tap wine) or this! In fact, in Naples they call Gragnano "pizza cola", a play on "penisola", which in turn means penisula as this is grown on the Sorrentina peninsula south of bella Napoli, the birth place of pizza. Anyway, this is similar to Lambrusco, but more savory and spicy, with a bit more firmer structure. Just an awesome wine to have with not just pizza, but with a plate of assorted salumi and cheese, or a meatball sub, Korean BBQ, fried chicken, grilled cheese sandwiches.... hell, just about anyting save fresh shucked oysters or caviar. Serve chilled but not too cold. One of my favorite wines in the store. Check it out!! CM, LA Italian wine specialist

By: MICHELLE STOCK | Review Date: 4/10/2012
great with pizza. PizzaSola!

Additional Information:



- Once named Enotria for its abundant vineyards, Italy (thanks to the ancient Greeks and Romans) has had an enormous impact on the wine world. From the shores of Italy, the Romans brought grapes and their winemaking techniques to North Africa, Spain and Portugal, Germany, France, the Danube Valley, the Middle East and even England. Modern Italy, which didn't actually exist as a country until the 1870s, once produced mainly simple, everyday wine. It wasn't until the 1970s that Italy began the change toward quality. The 1980s showed incredible efforts and a lot of experimentation. The 1990s marked the real jump in consistent quality, including excellence in many Region that had been indistinct for ages. The entire Italian peninsula is seeing a winemaking revolution and is now one of the most exciting wine Region in the world. For our entire Italian wine selection, click here. Click for a list of bestselling items from all of Italy.