Marguet Pere et Fils "Cuvée Reserve" Brut Champagne
Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
Half-each Chardonnay and Pinot, Marguet’s NV Brut Reserve Disg. 10/2012 is utterly fascinating in its pungent and savory evocations of bruised apple skin and lemon rind; oyster liquor and kelp, toasted nuts and blond tobacco; sourdough yeasts and singed buckwheat batter. There are white peach and apple to lend a juicy, fruity matrix to the mix on a palate at once creamy and vivacious. This finishes with subtle tartness, persistent pungency, pleasantly sour invigoration, and mouthwatering salinity. It will no doubt be too outrageously out of the mainstream for many wine lovers, but I highly recommend putting some of it to use at your table over the next couple of years.
Stephen Tanzer's International Wine Cellar
(a 50/50 blend of chardonnay and pinot noir, all from Ambonnay, Bouzy and Mailly; L0905): Bright yellow. Ripe pear and nectarine aromas are lifted and sharpened by a note of Meyer lemon. Smoky and focused on the palate, offering concentrated, refreshingly bitter pear skin and citrus pith flavors that become fleshier with aeration. Finishes on a gently smoky note, with very good clarity and persistence and a hint of iodine.
Back in stock with a great new label! This fantastic Champagne is made entirely of Grand Cru fruit, 50% Pinot Noir and 50% Chardonnay from the crus Ambonnay, Bouzy and Mailly. The wine is 60% from the 2007 harvest, with the other 40% coming from reserves of 2006 and 2005. It is very rich and powerful Champagne, with tons of Pinot Noir muscle and plenty of yeasty, toasty flavor. I find it to be one of my favorites with richer appetizers (think paté or stuffed mushrooms) or even the main course! It is very rare to see an all Grand Cru Champagne at this price, but with our direct buy (from Mr. Benoit Marguet) we are able to offer a spectacular value with this wine. (Gary Westby, K&L Champagne buyer)